Finding compression socks that fit well can be a tough task for full-figured folks. Even with body positivity trending on social media, companies frequently fail to consider people of size. For the few plus-size compression socks you can find online, you’ll notice an unfortunate trend: they all look like medical devices! Unlike the diverse and fun designs available in standard widths, you wouldn’t dream of wearing these bland, clinical-looking socks outside your home.
Here’s the good news: size-inclusive compression socks with fashionable designs are finally here. In this guide, we’ll explain the benefits of compression socks for plus-sized people, how to measure yourself for a perfect fit, what to look for in a sock, and our top picks!
Top 8 Benefits of Plus-Size Compression Socks
People of size aren’t the only ones who can benefit from compression socks, but there are several reasons why these health-promoting accessories can be extra valuable for bigger bodies. Whether you’re managing symptoms related to fatigue or swelling, or combating varicose veins, a right-sized pair of compression socks can be a comfort and your first line of defense.
Here are the top eight ways plus-size compression socks boost your well-being:
- Improve Circulation and Blood Flow: Many of the benefits of compression socks stem from this one effect, but it’s a significant plus in its own right. Due to the potential for decreased circulation in the legs, plus-sized individuals might experience numbness and discomfort. Compression socks promote better blood flow by helping your blood vessels work more efficiently, so they can be a great relief if you face these symptoms.
- Reduce Swelling: Long periods of standing, sitting, or walking can leave your legs and feet swollen. Compression socks gently encourage the fluids causing inflammation to move away from your lower body. Meanwhile, increased circulation promotes faster healing and reduces fatigue as you recover.
- Lower Leg Fatigue: Anyone can experience tiredness and muscle weariness in the legs, and having extra support from compression socks both during and after activity can be a huge help. Compression socks both support your muscles and soothe your exhausted limbs when they’re stressed by exertion, even if that’s a long day at the office.
- Support and Comfort: Compression socks keep your leg muscles aligned, which can reduce the likelihood of injury if you’re walking briskly. But they also provide a calming sensation of pressure, like a light massage, both in movement and at rest. Compression socks soothe your body and help your legs relax.
- Prevent Varicose Veins: Both varicose veins and DVT (deep vein thrombosis) are concerning for plus-sized people, and compression socks can help manage or even prevent these conditions from occurring. This is because graduated compression will deter the formation of blood clots by moving blood to and from the area more quickly.
- Mitigate Joint Pain: For bigger bodies, joints are especially vulnerable to twists and turns. While compression socks don’t directly treat joint pain, they can provide some relief from the inflammation around problem areas while providing extra support. Compression socks may even prevent joint pain from occuring by reinforcing your muscles during a long day of sitting, standing, and walking.
- Increase Fluid Drainage: Your lymphatic system can pool fluid in your lower body, especially if you spend much time sitting or at a desk. The steady pressure of compression socks promotes drainage, moving these fluids up and away from your legs to relieve pain, reduce swelling, and prevent inflammation.
- Provide a Confidence Boost: What you wear affects how you feel—it can even make the people around you happy, too! When you pull on a pair of compression socks that ease your aches and put a smile on your face, you’ll radiate confidence. There’s nothing more empowering than looking and feeling your best!
There are so many reasons plus-sized folks should invest in compression socks, and these are just our top eight! Bear in mind that these are the benefits of wearing plus-size compression socks that fit correctly. Unfortunately, socks that are too tight can be a problem for full-figured people. Remember that compression socks work best when snug but not pinching or excessively tight.
That leads us to our next tip: finding your size by measuring your body. If you don’t have a measuring tape handy, don’t sweat it. We’ve got a trick to find perfect-fitting plus-size compression socks using what you’ve got at home.
Measuring For Your Perfect Fit
Finding a proper fit is the key ingredient for reaping all the benefits of compression socks. But for plus-sized people, it can feel a bit tricky. If you’ve been struggling with the rail-thin aesthetics of modern fashion, you might think your body just isn’t meant for compression socks—but we’ve got you covered. You’ll find socks that fit your unique shape and give runway divas a run for their money.
First, a few pointers: a great-fitting pair of compression socks will feel snug but not tight. They won’t roll down on their own or pinch your skin. If you put on a pair of new compression socks and feel pain, take them off! You need to return them and get a different size, even if they were a plus-size pair.
Below, we’ve outlined the steps to measuring your body for compression socks (even if you don’t have a measuring tape):
- Circumference Measurements: For the most precise fit, you’ll take circumference measurements at two points: the narrowest part of your ankle and just under the widest part of your calf. If your legs tend to swell throughout the day, we suggest taking your measurements at night or whenever you experience the worst symptoms.
- DIY Measuring Tips: If you don’t have a measuring tape, use string or a strip of paper. Wrap it around the points we mentioned, mark the spot where it meets, and then measure it with a regular ruler. No ruler? Find something with a known length, and measure the paper or string using that.
- Height Measurement: Measure from the broadest part of your calf to the floor. Once again, if you don’t have measuring tape, just use whatever is available: string or paper, then a ruler or another object with a known length.
- Check Sizing Charts: Once you have your measurements, refer to the sizing chart of the socks you want. Each brand might have a slightly different sizing ratio, so check every time you shop.
Now that you know the size of your legs and feet, it’s time to discuss what makes a great plus-size compression sock. In the following section, we’ll tell you everything you need to look for in a sock, including bonus features and our top buying tips.
What to Look for in Extra Wide Compression Socks
When hunting for the best pair of extra wide compression socks, it’s not just about the fit. You also want accessories that deliver performance, comfort, and your unique style. High-quality compression socks have eight key qualities, which we’ve outlined in the list below:
True Graduated Compression (15-20mmHg)
True graduated compression means the sock applies different pressure levels to different areas of the leg and foot. Standard compression socks have unilateral pressure, which still has some benefits—but true graduated compression actually works against gravity, pushing blood and fluid back up the leg. The numbers before mmHg tell you the pressure in millimeters of mercury, and it’s the same measurement system doctors use for blood pressure. With 15-20, you get 20mmHg at the ankle and 15mmHg at the calf.
Extra-Wide Calf Design
This means the sock is specifically designed for individuals with extra-wide calves. You’ll see on the sizing chart of the brand where this difference lies. If you followed the steps to measure your calf and ankle earlier, you’ll have a very good idea of how well these socks will fit. Another component is whether the extra-wide measurements are “true to size,” meaning they don’t have much wiggle room even for a wide-calf variant.
Manufactured in the USA
Inferior processes and standards from global markets have long plagued the garment industry. That’s not to say pristine quality can’t come from abroad, but the practices used in US-based manufacturing are easier to monitor and supervise. If you buy compression socks from some corporations, their manufacturers are actually based thousands of miles away, meaning their quality assurance is likely also outsourced. Buying US-made socks means you’re investing in products built to higher standards.
Compression socks can get pretty toasty. While that’s great in the cooler months, recent heat waves have put a damper on all but the chillest compression socks. Fortunately, premium wide-calf compression socks use cooling designs that keep your feet from feeling damp and warm. You’ll enjoy breezy temps while relieving pressure whether you’re out for a stroll or putting your feet up on the couch.
Everyone has their own fashion sense, and you’re no exception. You might like things that are somber and understated, or you could enjoy a little razzle-dazzle in your step. Either way, a good brand for compression socks will let you pick from styles that speak to you personally—not just bland colors that look like medical instruments.
Great compression socks aren’t made from cotton. Instead, they’ll combine durable nylon with spandex for a snug but breathable fit. Materials like these will offer just enough stretch to make putting them on easy, but they’ll retain their compressive qualities no matter how often you wear them.
Who wants a toe seam rubbing against their foot all day? No one, that’s who! It’s a feature that should be standard in all compression socks, but it unfortunately isn’t. Unless you want a seam pressed against your toes whenever you wear your plus-size compression socks, we recommend opting for seamless designs.
If you’re springing for high-end compression socks, this is a must-have feature. Not only does it make it a risk-free investment on your part, but it also demonstrates the maker has confidence in their product. You’ll be sure these socks are durable and built to last knowing that a lifetime warranty backs them.
With these eight features in mind, you can shop for the perfect compression socks. You know the benefits, how to measure your legs and feet, and what makes a sock top-notch.
But before you head off on a shopping spree, we want to save you even more effort and time by sharing our favorite socks. Find the best place to buy plus-size compression socks and our favorite designs below!
Where to Find Compression Socks: Plus-Size Inclusive
Searching up the best shop for plus-size compression socks can be a bit of a quest considering how many stores only sell standard sizes. That’s why we’re pointing you to the best source for stylish, comfy, fun, and super-effective compression socks: Crazy Compression.
With a staggering array of designs and every feature listed in this guide, Crazy Compression is a treasure trove of high-quality, body-positive socks designed for people of any size. There are many ways that Crazy Compression makes shopping a judgment-free and straightforward experience, but we’ve picked three essential qualities that put their heads above the rest.
1. Size Inclusivity and Selection
Crazy Compression doesn’t just have one type of compression sock in different sizes. They feature wide-calf compression socks with unique fits specifically for plus-sized people. And instead of only offering these socks in drab colors that look like medical gauze, they’re the same eye-catching styles you can get in standard sizes. For Crazy Compression, full-figured folks aren’t an afterthought.
2. Innovative, Cute, and “Crazy” Designs
The name “Crazy” Compression isn’t a coincidence; this brand has some seriously wild socks to choose from. But the designs aren’t limited to flashy patterns or creepy-cute art. There’s enough variety to satisfy virtually any tastes, from more earthy or natural designs to elegant stripes and geometric patterns. Crazy Compression has fashionable compression socks with a little something for everyone.
3. Diverse and Affordable Products
Crazy Compression doesn’t just sell one kind of compression sock. They offer compression sleeves, workout socks, no-show socks, running socks—the list goes on! If you wanted a one-stop shop for all things compression, you found it in Crazy Compression. Meanwhile, the price-to-quality ratio simply can’t be beaten. With regular sales and already amazing prices, relief has never been more affordable.
The Best Compression Socks for Large Calves
Crazy Compression boasts an incredible catalog of both wacky and understated compression socks, but to us, these socks are the cream of the crop. Check out our favorite compression socks for large calves below for stylish additions to your collection!
All the socks listed here are manufactured in the USA from high-quality nylon and spandex. Each features Crazy Compression’s lifetime guarantee, Stay Cool Technology, true graduated compression of 15-20mmHg, and a seamless toe.
You don’t have to be an artist to appreciate this splash of color. Adding a light pastel flavor to your outfit, these socks will brighten everyone’s day at the office, at home, or when you’re simply strolling the town. Let out your inner creativity with these eye-catching accessories!
If you can’t wear your love for comics on your sleeve, you can wear it on your socks. With humorous and exciting speech bubbles, these socks speak volumes everywhere you go. Talk about taking “conversation starter” to the next level!
Celebrate your love for big cats with this psychedelic design that will have passersby asking, “Where did you get those beautiful socks?” Blending the heart of the African savannah with the chromatic tones of Pink Floyd, these socks are equally mysterious and majestic.
Yearning for an island getaway? You’re in luck! These socks are perfect for strolling sandy beaches, clambering up volcanic pathways, and kicking back with a Mai Tai. With its lush floral print and verdant background, the Tropical Hibiscus is a Pacific escape for aching feet.
A favorite of veterinary professionals, this sock proclaims your passion for the four-pawed critters who make our lives extra special. Alternating between light and dark tones, this delicately detailed pattern can reassure pet parents and patients alike.
Embracing Your Uniqueness With Plus-Size Compression Socks
We live in a world where the narrative can be frustratingly conventional. We’re so often caught up in simply surviving that it’s easy to forget the real story that makes us each so special. Embracing your uniqueness can be a bumpy road—but it’s not one you’re traveling alone. Self-love and acceptance is a community project, and we’re here to build a better story right beside you.
Hopefully, this guide helps you find a pair of compression socks that fit you exactly as you are. But we also hope it gives you reasons to celebrate yourself, including every curve and contour that makes you unique. Crazy Compression’s diverse designs and inclusive sizing are part of our bigger mission to shape a tomorrow where we can see the true beauty in each other—inside and out.At Crazy Compression, we want you to have soul-affirming style and freedom from pain in equal measure. So, take that brave first step, indulge in eye-catching patterns, boost your mood with wearable art, and let your socks express your individuality!